Monday, December 27, 2021

The government told me to be quiet. I refused.

GreenFaith Logo

Today’s story is from Meryne Warah, who co-leads GreenFaith’s organizing and campaigning work in Africa. She is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Give today to support GreenFaith.

Dear Rev.,

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Meryne Warah. I live in Nairobi, Kenya. I am a Seventh Day Adventist, I am a woman, and I organize for climate justice.  

This is the work God has called me to do. I am proud to work with GreenFaith.

When I represented our team at COP26 in Glasgow, I watched as fossil fuel executives held closed-door meetings with government officials who are either too corrupt or passive to do what is right.

I spoke out and criticized the government for their lack of action.

Governments in many places are not accustomed to grassroots women speaking out directly. They think we can be easily frightened into silence. After I published my post on social media, the head environmental minister from an African country approached me directly and told me I should take it down.

I refused.

Later, this same minister approached me again. He said, “If you won’t take these posts down, then I want you to come to our next meeting of environment ministers and speak to us all directly.”

So I did.

GreenFaith team members at COP26 in Glasgow, Scotland. From left to right: Rev. Dr. Neddy AstudilloMeryne Warah, and Nana Firman

I told these ministers that they needed to listen to grassroots voices of faith, particularly women from the global south who are taking the lead on identifying the needs of their communities and charting the path forward.

GreenFaith is building a global grassroots movement that uplifts diverse grassroots faith voices, empowering them to act boldly for the changes they need in their communities

We need your help. Together we are raising grassroots voices of faith for climate justice in our communities, on the streets, and in the halls of power.

When you support GreenFaith, you are empowering change where it’s most needed.

Please give today.

In faith,

Meryne Warah

Co-Director, GreenFaith Africa Organizing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Minute for Mission: National Day of Awareness & Action for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls and Two-Spirit People

Witness, Share and Evangelize: Minute for Mission: National Day of Awareness & Ac... : May 5, 2024 Photo courtesy of Alethia Oatman Indi...