Tuesday, March 1, 2022

#Petition: Pass the Adoptee Citizenship Act

My name is Patrick Armstrong and I’m a Korean American adoptee. When I was 15 my mother and I went to the BMV to get my driver’s permit (a milestone in any kid’s life). What should have been an exciting, fun day turned into a nightmare.

The employees at the BMV told me that they could not verify my birth certificate. In fact, they thought it was fake.

Luckily, my parents had already completed the process to grant me U.S. citizenship. But that day, I realized that citizenship is not a guarantee for all adoptees.

Sign the Petition to Grant Adoptees Citizenship

Over 20 years ago, Congress passed the Child Citizenship Act, a law with a life-altering loophole:The law granted citizenship to thousands of adoptees, but only to those who turned 18 before the law was passed.

Any intercountry adoptee who has already turned 18 will not be granted citizenship. Tens of thousands still do not have American citizenship to this day.

Through no fault of their own, these adoptees were brought to America as infants and children, And despite building lives, starting families, and existing under the impression that they were American citizens: They live in fear. Fear that on any given day everything will be taken away from them and they’ll be sent back to a country they don’t even remember. The longer that we wait, the more that fear becomes reality.

Take Action: Help Close the Loophole

Since the original legislation was passed, these adoptees have waited over 20 years to be given what they should have always had: citizenship. 

Through the currently introduced Adoptee Citizenship Act of 2021, all legally-adopted intercountry adoptees would be granted automatic citizenship regardless of the date that their adoption was finalized. It will also provide a pathway to citizenship for those who have already been deported.

Congress can grant all adoptees what they should have always had: citizenship. 

I hope you’ll join me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

WCC news: WCC expresses sympathy, solidarity for people and churches of Southern Brazil

World Council of Churches (WCC) general secretary Rev. Prof. Dr Jerry Pillay extended deep sympathy for the people and churches of Southern ...