Friday, August 21, 2020

Stacey Abrams: We've Got to Talk About Power

SojoMail



Stacey Abrams

I grew up in Gulfport, Miss., which is on the coast, and my parents are from Hattiesburg, which is about an hour north up Highway 49. On weekends, my mom and dad would pile the six of us in the car, and we would visit my grandparents.
My grandparents’ names always caused some confusion in our family because my grandmother was Wilter and my grandfather was Walter, but they called each other Bill and Jim. I didn’t know who was who. And my grandmother—Wilter, Bill, and known affectionately by my grandfather as Sugar Honey—she and my grandfather raised us with my parents to understand where we came from.
They wanted us to understand that my great-grandmother Moo Moo, who lived in the little house next to theirs, was two generations removed from slavery. Her grandparents had been slaves. Her parents had been sharecroppers. If you were lucky, you would get there in time to help her shell peas and listen to the stories that she would tell. You could listen to the history from her mouth, and you knew you were in a sacred place sitting on that front porch. When I got ready to run for office, I was bringing them with me, and I didn’t quite understand it.
But in September 2018, as the election for Georgia’s governor was heating up and stories were flying around about voter suppression, I went home to Mississippi because my grandmother was ailing. My grandfather had passed away in 2011, but my grandmother, she was on the edge. Grandma had a rocking chair recliner she sat in most of the day and a bed right beside it. When you came in the room, you sat on the edge of the bed and took her hand—because she was watching MSNBC, and you didn’t want to interrupt her learning why she was mad that day.
E-mailForward
FacebookShare

ADVERTISEMENT

 
More from sojo.net
How Will Christians Answer This Moment in History? (by Otis Moss III)
White protesters in Portland were given a glimpse of how Black lives do not matter in the face of state-sanctioned violence.
America Has Been Addicted to Whiteness for 400 Years (by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove)
What remains for all who’ve hit rock bottom is the long road to healing.
A Dark Kid in a Sea of Whiteness (by Amar D. Peterman)
Navigating and translating racism to white Christians. 

ADVERTISEMENT

 
From the Magazine
Want Safer Schools? Remove the Police (by Judith Browne Dianis)
Too many students have been dehumanized, disrespected, and criminalized by police in their schools.

ADVERTISEMENTS

University Congregational United Church of Christ (UCUCC) in Seattle seeks a pastor to join our three-person co-equal minister team as Minister of Worship and Christian Formation. Our 770-member church is engaged in numerous social justice activities. To attain our vision we seek prophetic, effective, and collaborative pastoral leadership.
Do you have customer service experience, great attention to detail, and a heart for social justice? Sojourners' Fellowship Program has an immediate opening for the Donor Services Assistant. Live in intentional, Christian community in Washington, D.C., and gain valuable, transferable nonprofit experience. Apply today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

WCC NEWS: Lecture on religion and violence urges Christians to engage in more self-questioning and self-criticism

The former head of the World Council of Churches (WCC) office for Interreligious Dialogue and Cooperation, Canon Dr Clare Amos, offered the ...