Monday, August 24, 2020

How does your faith compel you to act for the earth?


At times like these, our faith matters more than ever.
This week in China, unusually heavy rains have wreaked havoc, causing flooding that displaced millions of people and caused hundreds of deaths.
In California, thousands of lightning strikes and dangerously hot temperatures ignited devastating wildfires. Tens of thousands of people have been evacuated. The air is literally toxic - the most polluted on the planet.  
These climate-fueled calamities are happening with the backdrop of COVID-19. Fires and floods shine a spotlight on how the vulnerable among us suffer far worse when disasters strike. Our hearts are heavy for those in harm’s way.
What wisdom, solace, or strength does your faith, your spirituality provide in these times? As a multi-faith community, we need to reflect together so that our response can be rooted in our deepest convictions.
From where I live in Texas, I can pray and I can act. My faith calls me to do both. To ask for God to help those who are suffering. To reach out with love to support friends, loved ones, and people I’ve never met. My faith gives me strength and direction, guidance about what to do. I need it in these times more than ever. And I need a community where I can share about my faith, and hear others do the same.
As climate change impacts more and more of us around the world, we need to lean on the teachings of our faiths, to find strength by reflecting together, to and to learn how to build moral power for a safer, more just world.
Join us on our call next week to begin this conversation together. We’ll meet at 11am ET and 8pm ET on Thursday, August 27.
In faith and solidarity,
rev. abby mohaupt
PS. If you live in the United Sttates and haven’t signed the Righteous Voter Pledge, do that now! You can sign here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Action Alert: Oppose Expanded use of Public Land for Mining Operations (4.30.24)

Act Now The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Office of Public Witness has joined 130 partners in sending a letter to Congress opposing a bill th...