Friday, April 22, 2022

SojoMail - How I learned to trust the bees

SojoMail

I wish I could say that my journey into beekeeping began in some profound manner, especially as a person who has spent years working on policies that impact the environment and food security. But the truth is that I started playing The Sims 4 to keep myself entertained during the pandemic, and the game had a beekeeping feature. As I played, I thought, “I can do this.” And that is how my beekeeping journey began.
 
[…] There are unpleasant aspects of beekeeping, the most obvious being bee stings. However, there are challenges that I never anticipated: I never imagined that I would grow so attached to my bees, which means I think about them frequently. Is the hive too hot? Is their water the perfect balance of not being too clean, but not too dirty? Do I need to give them sugar water? But the questions don’t stop during their more dormant time in the winter. Is it too cold for them? Are they still alive? Is there enough honey for them? Do I need to leave them fondant (a mix of sugar and water that offers bees food during the winter)? Do they have oxygen after a snow?

At the same time, beekeeping has been so much more rewarding than I anticipated — even though I don’t have honey yet. As a woman who grew up in Washington, D.C., I always thought of myself as a city girl whose life is often removed from nature, so becoming a beekeeper has been an important part of my own self-discovery. I mean, how many beekeepers have you met over the years? Let alone Black beekeepers?

READ THE FULL ARTICLE

E-mailForward
FacebookShare

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Our Latest

Christians Started the ‘Groomer’ Lie — Now We Need to End It (by Ryan Duncan)

LGBTQ people have spent their lives countering the degrading falsehood that they are pedophiles.

The Disciples Were Terrified on Easter. Trans People Can Relate (by Austen Hartke)

I mourn recent legislation that targets my trans siblings, but I also know that Jesus shows up amid fear.

Wipf and Stock To Pull ‘Bad and Boujee’ From Publication, Distribution (by Mitchell Atencio)

Jennifer M. Buck’s book, Bad and Boujee: Toward a Trap Feminist Theology, was criticized earlier in the week for its treatment and representations of Black women and their ideas.

Churches Shouldn't Automatically Get Tax Exemptions (by Robert Repino)

 It’s time for churches and religious institutions to apply for tax-exempt status like other nonprofits.

ADVERTISEMENT

 
From the Magazine

How Do We Find Our Place in a World on Fire? (by Liuan Huska)

In Deep Waters prompts us to jump in and imagine a better future we can all swim toward together.

ADVERTISEMENTS

Learn to Love the Planet the Way God Does

Reawaken your heart and mind to the magnificence of God's creation. A Christian's Guide to Planet Earth is a faith-based framework for viewing our responsibility to the natural world. It provides practical, biblical ways we can care for the magnificent creation around us.

Seeking Associate Pastor

Triune Mercy Center, a nondenominational church in Greenville SC, seeks a full-time associate pastor. We share Christ’s love by serving the disadvantaged, including those experiencing homelessness and living in poverty. The position requires the M.Div. from an accredited seminary. Visit triunemercy.org for more. E-mail cover letter and resume to elaine.nocks@furman.edu.

Seeking Justice, Peace & Integrity of Creation (JPIC) Coordinator

The Congregation of St. Joseph in Brentwood, NY, is looking for a coordinator to address justice issues, inform and inspire all partners, and be an example of prayer and action. Individual will function as the Congregation’s public face and point of contact for all JPIC matters. Send resume to JPICresume@csjbrentwood.org.

DONATE SUBSCRIBE


Copyright © 2022 Sojourners, All rights reserved.
Sojourners | 408 C St. NE | Washington, DC 20002
Email: sojourners@sojo.net | Tel.: 202.328.8842

No comments:

Post a Comment

WCC news: WCC expresses sympathy, solidarity for people and churches of Southern Brazil

World Council of Churches (WCC) general secretary Rev. Prof. Dr Jerry Pillay extended deep sympathy for the people and churches of Southern ...