Monday, November 8, 2021

Change.org - Over a dozen cases

Content Warning: The following contains reference to sexual violence.

While in high school, Nikki was raped. She went to her principal for help, but was told she was the one who could face suspension. Nikki says Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District (CMS) and her former Principal have mishandled more than a dozen reports of assault – including her own. The 60K signatures on Nikki’s petition forced the district to investigate her former principal. But they simply reassigned him with the same pay. Nikki needs your help to demand CMS make immediate changes to protect students.

Demands for Justice for Myers Park Rape and Assault Survivors

64,151 have signed Nikki W.’s petition. Let’s get to 75,000!

Sign now with a click

I am a former Myers Park student who graduated in 2017. In 2014, as a 15-year-old sophomore, I was threatened by a fellow student that he had brought a gun to school and would shoot himself if I didn’t agree to meet him after class. He then took me to the woods by campus and raped me. When I reported to the school the day after this occurred to Ms Weinstein and Officer Leak, I was met with indifference. 

About a month later, after continuing sexual and verbal harassment from this student, I reported to the school a second time. Officer Leak told me that it was not rape since it was not the first time this same student had threatened me with suicide and I kept falling for it, so it wasn’t “reasonable” duress. Principal Bosco then told me that if the school launched a formal investigation into the rape and found the perpetrator innocent, that I could be suspended or face disciplinary action for having had sex on campus.

Due to these threats, I never filed a formal report with the school or the police. They completely swept it under the rug. My rapist was never suspended, expelled, or arrested. He still walks free.

I had to continue to see my rapist on campus for the next 2 and a half years at Myers Park. I suffered from severe PTSD and depression. I eventually had to drop out of college and enter 2 residential mental health facilities. Principal Bosco even held an assembly directly blaming female students for entering the woods instead of blaming male students for raping their peers.

I started a lawsuit against CMS and principal Bosco in an effort for justice. However when it became clear that the school’s effort was only to see how much money they could give me to silence me, I decided to settle the lawsuit and move my efforts elsewhere by speaking to the news and creating this petition. The link to my news story can be found below:

https://www.wbtv.com/2021/06/07/myers-park-hs-students-reported-rape-sexual-assault-nothing-happened/

My demands from CMS are listed below:

1. A public apology to all their past and current students and announcement of their action plan to make sure future students are not treated the way I was.

2. A full external investigation into Principal Bosco and his actions towards me and other students. 

3. School district wide policy change, including clearer Title IX policies, mandatory reporting, written records of all reports, and training for all staff, personnel, students and parents on how to report sexual violence.

4. CMS sexual education must be expanded to include a unit on sexual violence, dating violence, and especially the importance of consent. Consent is an informed, clear, enthusiastic, non-coerced yes. Anything else is a no. 

Thank you everyone for your overwhelming support so far. It means more than you know. Now let’s get justice.

Sign now with a click

Visit petition page

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today in the Mission Yearbook - For the past decade, Presbyterian Hunger Program has partnered with a Gaza organization working on food security

Witness, Share and Evangelize: Today in the Mission Yearbook - For the past decad... : PHP works with Improvement and Development for Commun...