Tuesday, September 29, 2020

On a holy day of the year, let’s act for what’s right

Join our non-partisan Moral Observer call on Tuesday, Sept. 29, at 2 pm ET.

One of the reasons I’m part of GreenFaith is that it unites my spirituality and my commitment to climate justice. I am Jewish (as well as being something of a spiritual seeker), and today is Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, when Jews fast - a spiritual practice that embodies reflection and repentance. It’s one of the most important days of the year for me, and I’ll be fasting and praying - having written this email before the start of the holiday.

As I reflect on the last year, I think about the COVID-19 pandemic and the massive climate disasters that have hit so many people and communities across the world. I think of the violent racism that has been exposed through the murder - in plain sight - of Black people by police in the United States.

These tragedies have laid bare the world’s inequity and injustice. The same communities that are suffering the most from COVID-19 are also suffering the worst impacts of climate change, racism, and violence.

But as I reflect on the last year, I also have so much hope. In 5780 (the Jewish year that just ended), we saw some of the biggest climate mobilizations the world has ever seen, led by youth with new energy and vigor. We saw communities band together to help the most vulnerable when COVID-19 hit, with neighbors looking out for each other. We saw massive uprisings demanding racial justice and an end to police violence.

And so, at the same time I feel heartbroken and I have immense hope. What I know for sure is this: my faith and my values compel me to do everything I can to contribute to a world with more justice and more hope.

That’s why I’m doing everything I can to make sure that every voice is heard in the upcoming election. And I invite you to join me.

For our GreenFaith Community in the United States: This Wednesday, we’re having our 2nd Moral Observer training, and we want you to join us. We will train you to use your power and moral authority as a person of faith or a faith leader on ways you can foster a compassionate voting community in the upcoming election, and election void of suppression and inclusive of all voices.

Join us on Wednesday at 2pm Eastern Standard Time. RSVP here.

May this year be a year full of sweetness, powered by our actions.

In solidarity,

Sara
P.S. You do not need to be a formal, ordained religious leader to be a Moral Observer. All people of faith and conscience are welcome to join us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Minute for Mission: National Day of Awareness & Action for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls and Two-Spirit People

Witness, Share and Evangelize: Minute for Mission: National Day of Awareness & Ac... : May 5, 2024 Photo courtesy of Alethia Oatman Indi...