Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Presbyterian Peace Fellowship - Leaving with gratitude and more community

PPF Transitions
As I stepped away from parish ministry almost four years ago, I knew I wanted to remain connected to the PC(USA) community, and so I reached out to Rev. Emily Brewer (PPF’s former Executive Director at the time) to ask about this community and how I might get involved. 

I remember asking specifically about how PPF was engaged in anti-racism work, and though it was a value of the organization, it was not a specific organizing focus at the time. 

About two months later,
Ahmaud Arbery was murdered.
And then Breonna Taylor.
And then George Floyd.

I first got involved as a volunteer during PPF's Deep Focus on Defund the Police, and then joined the staff two years ago as the Manager of Digital Organizing and Communications. 

Alongside my work with PPF I also organize locally and offer embodied anti-racism training. I have also been in coursework to become a somatic coach. I have arrived at a juncture where I need to step away from this role with PPF, and I will be leaving the staff on June 9, 2023. I feel called to deepen my organizing work locally given the political conditions we are navigating, and I am also really excited to continue to hone my skills and develop my practice as a somatic coach

During the last few years I have been so moved by the way the PPF community has woven its rich history and commitment to nonviolence and the abolition of war with a growing commitment to the abolition of all structures of violence and cultures of domination. Our new vision statement is inspiring to me as we face unique challenges in a time where climate collapse is meeting late capitalism and the rise of Christian Nationalism. More than ever, I believe we need Christian people inside the struggle to resist these realities that threaten even greater violence and harm upon our people and the planet. 

I will continue to stay involved with PPF, specifically, at first, as an Activist Council member with the Presbyterians for Abolition working group. And I look forward to all that is yet unfolding for the PPF community as leadership transitions and new visions guide our feet. 

I feel so grateful for the ways in which I have learned from you these last few years. I have grown my understanding of war and Internationalism. I have been challenged by the rigor of nonviolence. I have strengthened my commitment to support the movement to end gun violence. I have developed digital skills I’m not sure I wished I would ever have! And I have been inspired by so many of my elders in this community who have long worked to sustain and nurture the things that make for peace. 

Thank you.  

With gratitude at this leave taking, I hope to see you out in the world!
Rev. Lucy Waechter Webb 

P.S. I'd want to share this new resource that is coming out this summer: Building Up A New World: Congregational Organizing for Transformative Impact. It is co-edited by Rev. Anne Dunlap, who was with us in Kansas City, and my good friend Rev. Vahisha Hasan. I have a chapter in the book I've co-written with my colleague and friend, Rev. Ayanna Watkins. I believe this resource will be really supportive to congregations that are looking to train and equip their people for organizing. You can pre-order here!

Presbyterian Peace Fellowship

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today in the Mission Yearbook - For the past decade, Presbyterian Hunger Program has partnered with a Gaza organization working on food security

Witness, Share and Evangelize: Today in the Mission Yearbook - For the past decad... : PHP works with Improvement and Development for Commun...