Thursday, August 31, 2023

SojoMail - How to heal when religion hurts

SojoMail

This week we're sharing our latest cover story, in which therapist Matthias Roberts explores what it takes for people to heal from the negative religious environments in which they were raised.

The first time I became conscious that I was carrying the effects of religious trauma, I had just moved to Seattle and was sitting in a church, sweating.

My heart was beating fast; I couldn’t understand what was happening. This church, one I had chosen expressly because of its progressive, LGBTQ+ affirming stance, was supposed to be safe for someone like me, a queer person who deeply valued my faith. But I didn’t feel safe. I looked at the faces in the room with suspicion, searching for any indication of a bait-and-switch, and left the building quickly once the service was over.

Despite what I knew about the church — they welcomed LGBTQ+ people at any level of leadership, were committed to anti-racism work, and weren’t afraid of doubt or theological exploration — my body told me another story. As I sat in the cold folding chair, I tried to reason with myself, repeating these facts to calm down. But I didn’t feel calmer; I felt worse. I sat on my hands, legs shaking, as I waited for the service to end.

Because I had moved to Seattle to work on a master’s degree in counseling psychology from an institution that specialized in trauma, I soon learned what had happened: In that moment, my body had experienced the effects of trauma. Even though I cognitively knew the church was supposed to be safe, my body couldn’t discern this church from all the churches I had been in before — churches filled with people who weren’t afraid to tell me I needed to become straight for God to save me from hell. My body was sending warning signs: Be careful, environments like this aren’t safe. Despite the years of work I had done to detach myself from the rigid belief system of my youth, despite the ways I had fought to find a more life-giving approach to theology, I was beginning to reckon with the reality that changing my beliefs didn’t mean I had healed from the environments in which I was raised.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE

E-mailForward
FacebookShare

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Our Latest

What Families With Disabled Kids Need From the Church (by Bekah McNeel)

Too often, the burden to assimilate into church life falls on disabled people, those with medical complexities, and their families.

AI Is Made In Our Image. Here’s Why That’s a Problem (by Zachary Lee)

Noreen L. Herzfeld wants Christians to face the practical and theological implications of artificial intelligence.

6 Warning Signs of Christian Nationalism in US Politics (by Adam Russell Taylor)

Voters need to be savvy in recognizing when candidates’ behavior and rhetoric aligns with anti-democratic beliefs.

Young Evangelical Activists Face a Key Climate Barrier: Their Elders (by Bekah McNeel)

In a world of adult inaction, a recent Montana ruling is a rare win for youth climate activists.

ADVERTISEMENT

 
From the Magazine

Poet Maggie Smith Finds Beauty After Divorce (by Olivia Bardo)

The author of “Good Bones” teaches us to change direction, create a new path, and let the light in. 

ADVERTISEMENTS

Check out our colorful and doodle-filled Climate Zine 

If I want to talk to my church about climate change, where do I begin? We’ve got you, friend! We're proud to present the story of creation care and climate justice…all wrapped up in an action-packed zine. Our zine provides an engaging way to learn, jumpstart conversations, and act together to protect our common home. 

Enrich your anti-racism journey 

Check out our anti-racism reading list to learn about racial justice through a variety of lenses. It is a growing resource featuring more than thirty books. 

DONATE SUBSCRIBE

Copyright © 2023 Sojourners, All rights reserved.
Sojourners | 408 C St. NE | Washington, DC 20002
Email: sojourners@sojo.net | Tel.: 202.328.8842

No comments:

Post a Comment

WCC news: WCC expresses sympathy, solidarity for people and churches of Southern Brazil

World Council of Churches (WCC) general secretary Rev. Prof. Dr Jerry Pillay extended deep sympathy for the people and churches of Southern ...