Deep Breaths: “There may not be as much humanity in the world as I would like to see, but there is some. There’s more than one would think. In any case, if you break faith with what you know, that’s a betrayal of many, many, many people. I may know six people, but that’s enough. Love has never been a popular movement, and no one’s ever wanted really to be free. The world is held together, really held together, by the love and passion of a very few people.” -James Baldwin, 1970, Meeting the Man: James Baldwin in Paris. When things are uncertain, I have the habit of imagining the worst possible outcome. I tell myself this is actually for the best and call it "preparation for the worst." I should just call it what it really is—fatalism dressed up as worry and fear. I can’t be the only one who thinks like this, right? Lately, I have been thinking about living in this state of being and what it robs me of. And the answer is: so much. I have so much hope for what this world can be; how people can live in community with one another, the earth, and everything in it. I stubbornly refuse to believe such things are impossible. It might take us generations to get there, but we will, and love will win. There is no other outcome. When I slide into catastrophe mode, I give up autonomy and responsibility to others, letting them dictate my circumstances and keep leading us down this destructive path. I don’t believe I am powerless. I know for certain that I am not, and neither are you. I am part of a community that looks out for its neighbors, builds gardens, delivers groceries to those too scared to leave their homes, and fights back against despair, one kindness at a time. Look around you. How is your community showing up for one another? What acts of kindness are holding back despair? How can you be a part of it? This is how the world is meant to be. This is how the world is held together. — Cortnie Brooks, Education and Engagement Program Manager |
No comments:
Post a Comment