Sebwa is deaf and speaks Kenyan Sign Language. She says, “Growing up as a partially deaf person, I come from a community where voices are often overlooked or silenced. I decided to be the change. While writing this poem, I wanted to speak up for the environment and simultaneously encourage other voiceless people to share their stories.” Sebwa’s poem opens the World Council of Churches’ Hope for Children Through Climate Justice handbook, which helps churches with legal tools to hold financial organisations to account for funding fossil fuel projects. Sebwa was the youngest member of the World Council of Churches (WCC) delegation to the COP climate talks in Dubai. An English musician linked to the Iona Community, Helen Williams, read the poem and was moved to put it to music for congregations and schools to sing, with this songsheet. WCC partners in the Netherlands, Bas van Nienes and René Dufry, then recorded it, so it is a truly international Kenyan-British-Dutch composition. Charles Mullis from the Presbyterian Church in North Carolina in the USA loved the song, and produced a version for school wind orchestras, taking Sebwa's message of faith to more new audiences. The music video makes it more international still, filmed in Masiphumelele, Cape Town, South Africa, at Touch of Eden Academy, featuring the Grade 6 class of 2026 under the guidance of their teacher, Tinashe Mugumisa. The children were invited to hold signs displaying words that inspire hope, speak life, and remind us of God's promises. These words point beyond present struggles in a community with significant challenges, declaring that light is stronger than darkness, love is stronger than fear, and hope remains even in the hardest places. “I was deeply moved when the WCC central committee sang ‘The Path of Justice' as a rallying call launching the Ecumenical Decade of Climate Justice Action in Johannesburg, in June 2025,” says Frederique Seidel, senior programme lead, Children and Climate, at the WCC. “Now I’m praying that many denominations and partners will also be moved by it, and will hear the challenge of our children calling us to protect them throug this decade. I hope they find Hope for Children Through Climate Justice a useful tool to put that into practice and plan their own legal approaches to stop banks from fueling the climate emergency .” |
No comments:
Post a Comment