Thursday, August 4, 2022

SojoMail - Resting at the altar of water and soil

SojoMail

A few weeks ago, I received a call telling me that one of my closest friends from college had died. His death was a sudden, tragic one. It was the kind of news that dislodged other undigested griefs: Supreme Court rulings, climate disasters, and this damned pandemic whose most recent subvariant infected me, preventing me from seeing my friend laid to rest and isolating me from those who I need most.

Despair blossomed in me; my fears of what my life and the lives of future generations could become seem to be coming true. I take my bouquet of despair to the only place big enough to embrace it: the body of Creation. I set it before the altar of the water and soil.

I have my places: those close-by, thin places where God’s presence unfolds like the fiddlehead fern. In the morning I walk down with my hound dog, Sierra, to the stream behind our house. We take turns leading each other in exploration of growing things alongside the water. We are a good team, Sierra being more attracted to the smells of death, and I to the sights of life. Both are necessary and intermingled, in nature and in grief.

READ THE FULL ARTICLE

E-mailForward
FacebookShare

ADVERTISEMENT

 
Our Latest

How My Conservative Christian College Made Me a Leftist (by Josiah R. Daniels)

Taking a world religions course with a bunch of John Piper wannabes clarifies a lot.

‘Creation Care’ Isn’t Enough. We Need Degrowth. (by Matt Bernico)

Capitalism creates the conditions for human-caused climate change, and small modifications will not solve the climate crisis.

In the U.S., Christians Have Discounted the Body for Too Long (by Robyn Henderson-Espinoza)

An excerpt from Robyn Henderson-Espinoza on the work of unmasking whose bodies count.

Ron Sider, Who Called Evangelicals To Social Justice, Dies at 82 (by Mitchell Atencio)

“He was strong in his convictions but always open to engage with challenges. I will miss his example — especially in these times of great divide,” Nikki Toyama-Szeto said.

ADVERTISEMENT

 
From the Magazine

My Town is Home to Four Superfund Sites (by Liuan Huska)

What does following Christ mean for any of us who have choices in a world where others do not?

ADVERTISEMENTS

MCC Communications Associate for Relief, Development, & Peace

MCC has an opening for a full-time Communications Associate who will provide support to programs spanning from New York to Puerto Rico. The position has a strong emphasis on writing, event coordination, and logistics. The position is hybrid, and based in the Ephrata, PA office. Please express interest by August 14. 

Shop Our Recommended Reads

Wondering what to read next? Visit our Bookshop page to find new, noteworthy, and recently reviewed books, our anti-racism reading list, and more – all in one place! Purchasing through Bookshop supports Sojourners and local bookstores.

DONATE SUBSCRIBE


Copyright © 2022 Sojourners, All rights reserved.
Sojourners | 408 C St. NE | Washington, DC 20002
Email: sojourners@sojo.net | Tel.: 202.328.8842

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today in the Mission Yearbook - For the past decade, Presbyterian Hunger Program has partnered with a Gaza organization working on food security

Witness, Share and Evangelize: Today in the Mission Yearbook - For the past decad... : PHP works with Improvement and Development for Commun...