This past week, I made a point of watching Steel Magnolias and 9 to 5, in honor of the dearly departed Saint Dolly Parton. I doubt I was the only one.
While I was reasonably familiar with Dolly's philanthropic ways, her devout faith, and her dedication to reparative work, I am thankful that stories about her life and her dedication to goodness continue to emerge as we mourn her passing. I feel like her life, and all the ways she was a beacon of God's light and love in the world, continues to shine as we continue to uncover little tidbits about who she was.
I have had "The Summons" in my head for a few weeks now. This line, "will you use the faith you’ve found to reshape the world around," has been stuck in my head. That and the bit about doing it all unseen keep playing on repeat. So much of what Dolly did went unseen. She didn't want the credit. She just wanted to love the people around her and reshape the world so that all could flourish.
So much of who Dolly was is what MLP tries to emulate. We are trying so hard to reshape the world so that it truly reflects the way God intended for it to be: So that all may experience liberation and flourishing. And so much of what we do goes unseen. That's okay. We aren't in the work of taking credit; we are here to share God's love and light in the world.
May we continue being granted opportunities to let it be so.
-Jesy
No comments:
Post a Comment